About the profile areas
The 2018 population for Aorangi Forest is 1,470, with a population density of 0.01 persons per hectare.
Note: This page displays the area boundaries used for the 2018 Census. In some cases, these are significantly different to the pre-2018 areas. For more on this, see the Census 2018 page.
Location and boundaries
Featherston is located in the northern part of the South Wairarapa District Council area, and is bounded by the locality of Kahutara.
Featherston is named after Isaac Featherston, first Superintendent of Wellington Province. It was originally known as Burlings.
2018 Usual residents
hectares (1,579 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from the 1840s. The township of Featherston was established in 1857, although population was minimal until the railway line opened in the late 1870s, prompting growth during the late 1800s and early 1900s. A military camp operated at Featherston during WWI, then becoming a Prisoner of War camp during WWII. Population growth occurred from the post-war years, particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. The population declined slightly between 1996 and 2013, largely due to a decline in dwelling occupancy rates and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Featherston is a township area, with residential, commercial and industrial land use.
Major features of the area include Featherston Domain, Fell Locomotive Museum, Mainly Military Museum, Featherston Heritage Museum, Alexander Park, Card Reserve, Clifford Square Reserve, Dorset Square, Market Reserve, Randolf Park, Featherston Pool and two schools.