Thorndon - Pipitea
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Thorndon - Pipitea is 4,266, with a population density of 14.99 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Thorndon - Pipitea is bounded by the Town Belt, Grosvenor Terrace, Baker Street, Hutt Road, Sar Street and a line running continuous of Sar Street in the north, Lambton Harbour in the east, a line running continuous of Harris Street, Jervois Quay, Customhouse Quay, Whitmore Street, Bowen Street, Tinakori Road and Glenmore Street in the south, and the suburbs of Northland and Wilton, the Town Belt and Weld Street in the west.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Colonial settlement of the area dates from 1840, although population was minimal until the 1860s. Rapid growth took place from the 1860s into the 1880s, with expansion continuing into the 1920s. The population declined from the 1950s to the 1970s, largely due to the construction of the Motorway. Some gentrification and renovation took place from the late 1970s. The population increased substantially between 1996 and 2013, a result of new dwellings being added to the area, particularly in the area to the west of the Motorway, on previously industrial land.
Thorndon - Pipitea is a mixed use area, with commercial, industrial and increasing residential land use due to redevelopment.
This small area encompasses the suburb of Thorndon, most of Pipitea, and small parts of Northland and Wadestown.