Maungataniwha - Tuai
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Maungataniwha - Tuai is 537, with a population density of 0.00 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Maungataniwha - Tuai is bounded by the Whakatane District Council area in the north, Waikaremoana Road, Lake Road and the locality of Ruakituri-Morere in the east, the locality of Raupunga in the south, and the Hastings District Council area in the west.
Maungataniwha is named after the Maungataniwha Forest/Range, which is named from the words 'maunga' meaning mountain, and 'taniwha' meaning a water monster. Tuai is named after a Māori chief.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (1,497 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the mid 1800s, with land used mainly for farming. Some growth took place during the late 1800s. A power station was opened in 1929 as part of the Waikaremoana power scheme, with the small settlement of Tuai growing up around it. Te Urewera National Park was established in the northern section of the area in 1954. The population generally declined between 1996 and 2013, a result of little change in dwelling stock, and a decline in dwelling occupancy rates and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Maungataniwha - Tuai is a largely rural area, with a small settlement at Tuai.
Major features of the area include Te Urewera National Park, Lake Waikaremoana, Lake Rotunuiaha, Lake Whakamarino and Tuai Hall.