Kahutara - Tuturumuri - Inland Water-Lake Wairarapa
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Kahutara - Tuturumuri - Inland Water-Lake Wairarapa is 3,603, with a population density of 0.01 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Kahutara - Tuturumuri - Inland Water-Lake Wairarapa is bounded by the Carterton District in the north, the Pacific Ocean in the east, Cook Strait in the south, Hutt City, Upper Hutt City and the Kāpiti Coast District in the west. This small area excludes the townships of Featherston, Greytown and Martinborough.
Kahutara is named from a Māori word meaning 'sowthistle'.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (2,445 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from the 1840s, with the first New Zealand sheep station established at Wharekaka (south of the current township of Martinborough) in 1844. Land was also used for cattle grazing. Gradual growth took place during the late 1800s as access to the area improved, with further growth during the post-war years. The population declined slightly between 1996 and 2001, and then increased between 2001 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Kahutara - Tuturumuri - Inland Water-Lake Wairarapa is a predominantly rural area, with numerous small villages. Rural land is used largely for sheep and dairy farming, vineyards and olive growing, with substantial areas of forest parks. Fishing is also an important industry.
Major features of the area include Aorangi Forest Park, Rimutaka Forest Park, Tararua Forest Park, Lake Wairarapa, Lake Onoke, Wairarapa Moana Wetlands Park, Ocean Beach, Whangaimoana Beach, Putangirua Pinnacles, Featherston Golf Club, Martinborough Golf Club, Tauherenikau Racecourse, Cape Palliser Lighthouse, Lake Domain Reserve, Cape Palliser, the Ruamahanga River, numerous wineries and vineyards and one school.