About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Greytown is 2,202, with a population density of 5.00 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Greytown is located in the northern part of the South Wairarapa District Council area, and is bounded by the locality of Kahutara.
Greytown is named after Governor Sir George Grey, who arranged for the land in the area to be bought from the local Māori people.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates primarily from the 1850s, with the township of Greytown established in 1854. The railway line initially bypassed the town, then was constructed in 1880, prompting some growth. From the early 1900s Greytown became a prominent fruit growing area, with population growth particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. The population increased gradually between 1996 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Greytown is a township area, with residential, commercial and industrial land use.
Major features of the area include The Cobblestones Museum, Arbor Reserve, Collier Reserve, Greytown Recreation Ground, Kowhai Reserve, R W Tate Memorial Scenic Reserve, Soldiers Memorial Park, Stella Bull Park, Greytown Pool and two schools.