Waimarino - Waiouru
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Waimarino - Waiouru is 1,959, with a population density of 0.01 persons per hectare.
Waimarino is named from the Māori words “wai” meaning “water or stream” and “marino” meaning “calm or still”. Waiouru is named from the Māori words “wai” meaning “water or stream” and “uru” meaning “west”.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (2,699 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from the 1870s, with land used mainly for sheep grazing, farming and timber milling. Some growth took place during the early 1900s. Land at Waiouru was purchased by the Army in the 1930s, with the Military Base established in 1940. The population halved between 1996 and 2013, largely due to downsizing of the Military Camp, and a decline in dwelling stock and dwelling occupancy rates.
Waimarino/Waiouru is a rural area with a military base at Waiouru. Rural land is used mainly for farming and forestry.
Major features of the area include Whanganui National Park, Turoa Ski Area, Mount Ruapehu, Waiouru Military Camp, National Army Museum, Waiouru Golf Club, Waimarino Golf Club (Ruapehu Golf), Lake Moawhango, Moawhango Dam, Bridge to Nowhere, Rotokura Ecological Reserve, The Lakes Reserve, Karioi Forest, Waimarino Forest and one school.
This area encompasses the Census area units of Tangiwai and Waiouru, but excludes the Census area units of Ohakune and Raetihi.