Ruapehu District CouncilCommunity profile
Skip to content

Taumarunui

About the profile areas

The 2013 population for Taumarunui is 4,503, with a population density of 2.22 persons per hectare.

Name origin

Taumarunui is named from the Māori words “taumaru” meaning “screen” and “nui” meaning “large”.

Settlement history

European settlement dates from 1874, with land used mainly for saw milling and farming. Growth took place during the early 1900s, aided by the opening of the railway line and the establishment of the township. Expansion slowed in the mid 1930s and during WWII, but resumed again when the war ended in 1945. Substantial development occurred during the 1950s, with growth slowing from the 1960s. The population began to decline from 1980. The population continued to decline between 1996 and 2013, due to little change in dwelling stock and a decline in dwelling occupancy rates.

Land use

Taumarunui is a township area, with surrounding rural-residential land. Taumarunui is the main service centre for the surrounding sheep, cattle and deer farms and forestry plantations. The population of the area increases substantially during the ski season.

Major features

Major features of the area include Taumarunui Golf Club, Taumarunui Hospital, Cherry Grove Domain, Manunui Domain, Rangaroa Domain, Taumarunui Domain, Tuhua Domain, Tuku Street Domain, Municipal Reserve, Taumarunui Pool and numerous schools.

Included areas

This area encompasses the Census area units of Manunui, Sunshine-Hospital Hill, Tarrangower and Taumarunui Central.

v17.08.15-1.0.0