About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Bluff Hill is 2,697, with a population density of 13.55 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Bluff Hill is bounded by the Pacific Ocean in the north and east, Emerson Street in the south, and Clive Square East, Tennyson Street, Milton Road and Battery Road in the west.
Bluff Hill is named after Bluff Head, which was named by Captain James Cook as he sailed past the area in 1769.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s. Growth took place during the late 1800s, aided by the construction of the breakwater wharf. Development resumed from the 1960s. The population declined slightly during the late 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2013, a result of few new dwellings being added to the area and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Bluff Hill is an established residential and maritime area.
Major features of the area include the Port of Napier, Marine Parade Beach, Beach Domain, Bluff Hill Domain, Sturm's Gully Reserve, Tiffen Park, Central Napier Shopping area, Centennial Gardens, Bluff Hill Lookout, Napier Municipal Theatre, Hawke's Bay Museum & Art Gallery, Pania of the Reef Statue, Ocean Spa, Bluff Hill War Memorial, Floral Clock, Tom Parker Fountain, Napier War Memorial Conference Centre, Sacred Heart (Girls) College and Napier Girls' High School.