Masterton West - Masterton Central - Masterton Railway
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Masterton West - Masterton Central - Masterton Railway is 3,891, with a population density of 9.29 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Masterton West - Masterton Central - Masterton Railway is bounded by the Waipoua River in the north, Opaki Road, Dixon Street, Park Avenue, Masonic Street, Hessey Street, Worksop Road and Dixon Street in the east, Kuripuni Street, Waltons Avenue, Chapel Street and the locality of Solway North in the south, and Ngaumutawa Road in the west.
Masterton West, Masterton Central and Masterton Railway are named after Joseph Masters, the central figure in the Small Farms Association that persuaded Māori in Wairarapa to sell their land.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from 1854 when the township of Masterton was established, following the purchase of land from the Māoris by the Small Farms Association. Growth was slow initially, with land used mainly for sheep and cattle grazing. Population growth took place from the 1870s into the early 1900s, aided by the opening of the railway line in 1880. Significant residential development occurred during the 1950s and 1960s. The population declined slightly between 1996 and 2006, and then was relatively stable between 2006 and 2013, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Masterton West - Masterton Central - Masterton Railway is an established township area, with residential, commercial and industrial land uses.
Major features of the area include the Masterton CBD, Wairarapa Museum of Art and History, Douglas Park, Masterton Town Hall, Universal College of Learning (Wairarapa Campus) and several schools.