About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Masterton East is 3,576, with a population density of 14.98 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Masterton East is bounded by the Waipoua River in the north, the locality of Homebush-Te Ore Ore in the east, Makora Road and Kuripuni Stream in the south, and Dixon Street, Worksop Road, Hessey Street, Masonic Street, Park Avenue, Dixon Street and Opaki Road in the west.
Masterton East is named for the eastern part of Masterton, which is named after Joseph Masters, the central figure in the Small Farms Association that persuaded Māori in Wairarapa to sell their land.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from 1854 when the township of Masterton was established, following the purchase of land from the Māoris by the Small Farms Association. Population was minimal until the 1870s, with land used mainly for sheep and cattle grazing. Growth took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Significant residential development occurred from the post-war years into the 1960s. The population declined marginally between 1996 and 2006, and then increased slightly between 2006 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Masterton East is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Queen Elizabeth Park, Genesis Energy Recreation Centre, Cameron and Soldiers Memorial Park, McJorrow Park, Garlands Bush, Kids Own Playground, Queen Elizabeth Park Mini Golf, Masterton Miniature Railway, Masterton Cemetery and several schools.