About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Paraparaumu West is 6,489, with a population density of 8.55 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Paraparaumu West is bounded by the Kāpiti Coast Airport, Kāpiti Road, the locality of Paraparaumu Beach South and Hollis Road in the north, Mazengarb Road, Ratanui Road and Otaihanga Road in the east, the railway line in the south, and the locality of Raumati Beach in the west.
The place name Paraparaumu means morsels and sediment. It is said Hau likened the sea foam on the shoreline to the morsels around a huge oven.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from the 1870s, with land used mainly for farming and orcharding. Population was minimal until the late 1880s when the railway line was opened. The airport was opened in 1939, becoming the main airport for the Wellington Region from 1949 when the Rongotai Airport was closed, but then declined in importance when the Wellington International Airport was opened in 1959. Rapid growth took place from the 1960s. The population increased substantially between 1996 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area. Population and housing growth continued between 2006 and 2013, but at a slower rate.
Paraparaumu West is a township area (residential, commercial and industrial land use), with an airport in the south-west.
Major features of the area include Coastlands Shopping Centre, Kāpiti Coast Airport, Whitireia Polytechnic (Kāpiti Campus), Museum of Aviation, Tuatara Brewery, Coastlands Aquatic Centre, Kāpiti Health Centre, Kāpiti Community Centre, Linwood Drive Reserve, Manawa Avenue Reserve, Marere Avenue Reserve, Mazengarb Reserve, Paraparaumu Domain and one school.
This small area encompasses the western part of the locality of Paraparaumu Central.