About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Taita South is 2,925, with a population density of 9.40 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Taita South is bounded by Nash Street, Reynolds Street, Tocker Street, Eastern Hutt Road and the locality of Taita North in the north, the locality of Delaney in the east, the locality of Naenae North, the Wingate Overbridge and Percy Cameron Street in the south, and the Hutt River in the west.
Taita South is named for the southern part of Taita, which is named from a word meaning 'driftwood on the bed of a river'.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from the mid 1800s, with land used mainly for market gardening. Significant residential development occurred from the 1940s as government housing was constructed. Growth was aided by the opening of the railway line in 1947. The population declined marginally between 1996 and 2001 and then increased between 2001 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area. The population declined slightly again between 2006 and 2013, largely a result of a decline in dwelling occupancy rates.
Taita South is an established residential area, with commercial areas along Eastern Hutt Road, and conservation areas in the east.
Major features of the area include Fraser Park, Walter Nash Stadium, Taita Community Centre, Taita Community Hall, Wingate Industrial Estate and one school.