About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Taita North is 2,610, with a population density of 18.17 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Taita North is bounded by the Hutt River in the north and west, Eastern Hutt Road and the locality of Holborn in the east, and the locality of Taita South, Eastern Hutt Road, Tocker Street, Reynolds Street and Nash Street in the south.
Taita North is named for the northern part of Taita, which is named from a word meaning 'driftwood on the bed of a river'.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from the mid 1800s, with land used mainly for market gardening. Significant residential development occurred from the 1940s as government housing was constructed. Growth was aided by the opening of the railway line in 1947. The population increased gradually between 1996 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly medium density housing. The population then declined between 2006 and 2013, largely due to dwelling stock loss.
Taita North is an established residential area, with some commercial land use along Eastern Hutt Road.
Major features of the area include Walter Nash Park, Pomare Community House, Wingate Industrial Estate, The Learning Connexion and several schools.