Korokoro - Petone Central - Wilford
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Korokoro - Petone Central - Wilford is 5,601, with a population density of 11.02 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Korokoro - Petone Central - Wilford is bounded by the locality of Maungaraki, Wakefield Street and the railway line in the north, the Hutt River in the east, Jackson Street, Nelson Street and Wellington Harbour in the south, and Wellington City in the west.
Korokoro is named from a word meaning 'throat'. Petone Central is named from the word 'Pito-one', with 'Pito' meaning 'end' and 'one' meaning 'sandy beach'. Petone was originally known as Britannia.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (5 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from 1840, when the first settlement in Hutt City was established in the Petone area (then called Britannia). Land was used mainly for farming. Industrial development took place in the late 1800s and early 1900s, spurred by the opening of the railway line in 1874 and the relocation of the railway workshops to Petone in 1878. Some housing growth took place in the late 1800s and early 1900s, although population was minimal until the post-war years, with growth through to the 1960s. The population and dwelling stock were relatively stable between 1996 and 2013.
Korokoro - Petone Central - Wilford is a mixed use area, with residential areas, recreational and parkland areas, and industrial and commercial areas around the intersection of Jackson Street, Hutt Road and Te Puni Street.
Major features of the area include Belmont Regional Park, Shandon Golf Club, Elizabeth Johnson Park, Frank Cameron Park, Garden of Remembrance, Korokoro Recreation Reserve, Memorial Park, North Park, Percy's Scenic Reserve, Petone Lions Park, Petone Recreation Ground, Sladden Park, Galbraiths Gully, McKenzie Summer Pool, Petone Foreshore, Petone Community House, Wellington Institute of Technology (WelTec – Petone Campus), the Petone Commercial Activity Area (Jackson Street), Petone Wharf, Gear Island Water Treatment Plant and several schools.