About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Hutt City is 98,238, with a population density of 2.61 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Hutt City is located at the southern end of New Zealand's North Island, about 10-20 kilometres north-east of the Wellington CBD. Hutt City is bounded by Porirua City and Upper Hutt City in the north, the South Wairarapa District Council area in the east, Cook Strait and Wellington Harbour in the south, and Wellington City in the west.
The Māori name for Hutt River is Te Awa Kairangi. Kairangi means precious or greatly esteemed. Other meanings for Te Awa Kairangi include, 'the river that eats the sky' - a reference to the beauty of its reflection, and 'the river that brings food from the heavens'.
Following colonisation, the name of the river was changed to Hutt River after Sir William Hutt, founding member, director and chairman of the New Zealand Company. Hutt City is also known as Lower Hutt City, referring to the lower reaches of the Hutt River.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (377 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from 1840, with Petone (then called Britannia) being the first formalised settlement of the New Zealand Company. Land was used mainly for farming and market gardening. Some industrial development took place in the lower part of the valley during the late 1800s and early 1900s, aided by the opening of the railway line in 1874. During the 1920s the Government bought large tracts of land for housing, the railway line was extended and residential growth occurred. Significant residential development took place from the post-war years into the 1960s, including considerable public housing construction in Epuni, Naenae and Taita. The population of the City was relatively stable from the early 1980s to 2001 at about 95,000 people, increased slightly to about 98,000 people in 2006, and then was relatively stable to 2013.
Hutt City features rural, rural-residential and urban areas. The majority of the area is rural, characterised by steep hillsides and exposed ridge lines, with limited flat land. Rural land is used largely for water collection, recreation and conservation, with some animal farming and forestry. Hutt City encompasses a total land area of about 380 square kilometres, including over 40 kilometres of coastline.
Hutt City is served by Western Hutt Road and ferries from Wellington.
As the second largest city in the Wellington region, Hutt City offers all the advantages of city living with a relaxed lifestyle and a strong sense of community. Because the Hutt Valley is sheltered by surrounding hills, the weather is generally warmer and less windy than in Wellington City.
People like living here because of the:
For the outdoor enthusiast, the area provides great outdoor activities including excellent walking, tramping and mountain biking tracks and sheltered sea and river beaches. Dozens of tracks and trails wind through beautiful native bush areas and along kilometres of coastline around Wellington Harbour and along the Hutt River.
Major features of the City include the Lower Hutt CBD, Westfield Queensgate Shopping Centre, Phoenix Mall (Centre City Plaza), the Petone Commercial Activity Area (Jackson Street), Wellington Institute of Technology (WelTec – Petone Campus), Open Polytechnic New Zealand, The Learning Connexion, Belmont Regional Park, East Harbour Regional Park, Rimutaka Forest Park, The Dowse Art Museum, Petone Settlers Museum, Hutt Hospital, the Hutt River, the Hutt River Trail and several wharves.
The original inhabitants of the Hutt area were the Māori people.
Hutt City includes the suburbs and localities of Alicetown, Arakura, Avalon East, Avalon West, Belmont, Boulcott, Delaney, Eastbourne, Epuni East, Epuni West, Esplanade, Fernlea, Glendale, Gracefield, Haywards-Manor Park, Holborn, Homedale East, Homedale West, Hutt Central, Kelson, Korokoro, Manuka, Maungaraki, Melling, Moera, Naenae North, Naenae South, Normandale, Parkway, Pencarrow, Petone Central, Seaview Marina, Taita North, Taita South, Tawhai, Tirohanga, Waiwhetu North, Waiwhetu South, Waterloo East, Waterloo West, Wilford, Woburn North and Woburn South.