Far North District CouncilCommunity profile
Skip to content

Far North District

Household types

In the Far North District, 62.0% of households were made up of one family households compared with 64.1% in the Northland Region in 2013.

The Far North District's household and family structure is one of the most important demographic indicators. It reveals the area's residential role and function, era of settlement and provides key insights into the level of demand for services and facilities as most are related to age and household types.

To continue building the story, the Far North District's Household Summary should be viewed in conjunction with Family, Household Size, Age Structure and Dwelling Type.

Derived from the Census questions:

'How is each person in the household related to you?'

Total households

Household types
Far North District20132006Change
Household by typeNumber%Northland Region %Number%Northland Region %2006 to 2013
One family households
13,23962.064.113,24566.467.6-6
Multi-family households
6423.02.45462.72.4+96
Related individuals, non family
2161.00.82191.10.9-3
Group household (unrelated)
4592.12.45012.52.5-42
map this data in atlas.idSole person household5,56826.126.14,50622.623.3+1,062
Non-classifiable household
1,2425.84.39304.73.4+312

Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings 2006 and 2013. Compiled and presented in profile.id by .id , the population experts.

Household types, 2013
Household types, 2013 Sole person household, Northland Region: 26.1% Group household (unrelated), Northland Region: 2.4% Related individuals, non family, Northland Region: 0.8% Multi-family households, Northland Region: 2.4% One family households, Northland Region: 64.1% Sole person household, Far North District: 26.1% Group household (unrelated), Far North District: 2.1% Related individuals, non family, Far North District: 1.0% Multi-family households, Far North District: 3.0% One family households, Far North District: 62.0%
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings, 2013
Compiled and presented by .id, the population experts.
Change in household types, 2006 to 2013
Change in household types, 2006 to 2013 Sole person household, Far North District: +1,062 Group household (unrelated), Far North District: -42 Related individuals, non family, Far North District: -3 Multi-family households, Far North District: +96 One family households, Far North District: -6
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings, 2006 and 2013
Compiled and presented by .id, the population experts.

Dominant groups

Analysis of the household types in the Far North District in 2013 compared to the Northland Region shows that there was a lower proportion of one family households as well as a similar proportion of group households. Overall, 62.0% of total households were one family households, and 2.1% were group households, compared with 64.1% and 2.4% respectively for the Northland Region.

There were a similar proportion of lone person households and a higher proportion of multi-family households. Overall, the proportion of lone person households was 26.1% compared to 26.1% in the Northland Region while the proportion of multi-family households was 3.0% compared to 2.4% in the Northland Region.

Emerging groups

The number of households in Far North District increased by 1,419 between 2006 and 2013.

The largest changes in household types in the Far North District between 2006 and 2013 were:

  • Sole person household (+1,062 households)
  • Multi-family households (+96 households)

v17.07.25-1.0.0