About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Waitangi is 813, with a population density of 0.07 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Waitangi is bounded by Kerikeri Inlet in the north, the Bay of Islands in the east, the localities of Haruru Falls and Waihou Valley-Hupara and Wakelin Road in the south, and the locality of Waihou Valley-Hupara, Springbank Road, Bulls Road and the locality of Kerikeri in the west.
Waitangi is named from the Māori words “wai” meaning “waters” and “tangi” meaning “noisy or weeping”.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (119 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from the 1830s. In 1840 The Treaty of Waitangi was signed both by the Māori Chiefs and British Crown. Growth took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s, and again from the post-war years. The population increased substantially between 1996 and 2001 as new dwellings were added to the area. The population then fluctuated slightly between 2001 and 2013 due to fewer new dwellings being added, and changes in dwelling occupancy rates and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Waitangi is a rural and rural-residential area. Land is used largely for farming and viticulture.
Major features of the area include Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Waitangi Golf Club, Hauparua Inlet, Motupapa Island, Moturoa Island, various other small islands, Waitangi Forest, Cottle Hill Winery, Marsden Estate Winery and Pukeko Vineyard.