Pokere-Waihaha - Russell
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Pokere-Waihaha - Russell is 3,147, with a population density of 0.04 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Pokere-Waihaha - Russell is bounded by the Pacific Ocean in the north and east, the Whangarei District in the south, and the localities of Ngapuhi-Kaikou, Moerewa and Waihou Valley-Hupara and the Bay of Islands in the west.
Pokere-Waihaha is named from Māori words meaning “dark, black, pit, pulp of the tawa berry” or “dark kilt” and “noisy water”. Russell is named after Lord John Russell, Secretary of State for the Colonies in 1839 and later Prime Minister of Britain.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (837 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from the 1830s, when the township of Russell was established. The main industries were whaling, trading, timber getting and dairy farming. Some growth took place during the late 1800s, with tourism from the early 1900s. Expansion occurred during the post-war years. The population generally declined slightly between 1996 and 2013, a result of little change in dwelling stock.
Pokere-Waihaha - Russell is a predominantly rural area, with a small township at Russell and several other small settlements. The main industries are farming, fishing, oyster farming and tourism.
Major features of the area include the Bay of Islands, Bay of Islands Maritime Park, Moturua Island, Urupukapuka Island, numerous other small islands, Russell Forest, Waitangi Forest, Kawiti Glow Worm Caves, Long Beach, Cape Brett, Pompallier Mission, Russell Museum, Frigate HMNZS Canterbury, Flagstaff Hill Historic Reserve, Paihia – Russell Ferry, Okiata to Russell Walkway, Omata Estate (winery), Paroa Bay Winery, Kororareka Point Reserve, Matauwhi Bay Recreational Reserve, Ngaiotonga Scenic Reserve, Tapeka Point Reserve, Village Green, Maromaku Hall, Russell Hall and a number of schools.
This area encompasses the localities (Census area units) of Bay of Islands, Pokere-Waihaha and Russell. It excludes the locality of Kawakawa, which is located in the south-western section.