North Cape - Houhora
About the profile areas
The 2013 population for North Cape - Houhora is 1,368, with a population density of 0.02 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
North Cape - Houhora is bounded by the Pacific Ocean in the north and east, the locality of Motutangi-Kareponia in the south, and the Tasman Sea in the west.
North Cape was named by Captain Cook in 1769 to describe the area: the northern-most extremity of New Zealand. Houhora is named from the Māori words “hou” meaning “feathers” and “hora” meaning “spread out”.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (903 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from the early 1800s, although population was minimal until the late 1800s. The village of Pukenui developed as a shipping point for kauri gum. Expansion continued during the post-war years. The population declined between 1996 and 2006 due to little change in dwelling stock and a decline in occupancy rates. The population then increased marginally between 2006 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area and occupancy rates increased.
North Cape - Houhora is a predominantly rural area with several small settlements and holiday areas. Land is used largely for agriculture and forestry.
Major features of the area include Houhora Harbour, Parengarenga Harbour, Ninety Mile Beach, Te Paki Sand Dunes, Lake Wahakari, Cape Reinga, Cape Reinga Lighthouse, Houhora Golf Club, Subritzky Historic Homestead, Great Exhibition Bay, Henderson Bay, Spirits Bay, Tom Bowling Bay, Aupouri Forest, Houhora Heads Reserve, Araiawa (Raio) Hall and several schools.