About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Kerikeri is 6,507, with a population density of 1.82 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Kerikeri is bounded by State Highway 10, the locality of Kapiro, Landing Road, Kapiro Road, Redcliffs Road and the locality of Kapiro in the north, Kerikeri Inlet, Kerikeri Inlet Road and Okura Road in the east, the locality of Waitangi and Bulls Road in the south, and Springbank Road and State Highway 10 in the west.
Kerikeri is thought to be named from Māori words meaning “to keep on digging” or “rushing violently”.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (36 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from 1819 when a Church Mission Settlement was established. Land was used predominantly for sheep and cattle grazing. Population was minimal until the late 1800s, with growth through to the early 1900s. From the late 1920s land became used largely for horticulture. Steady population growth took place from the 1970s. The population continued to increase between 1996 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Kerikeri is a growing township area (residential, commercial and industrial land use) with surrounding rural and rural-residential areas. Rural land is used largely for horticulture, particularly orchards and market gardens.
Major features of the area include Bay of Islands Golf Club (Kerikeri), Kerikeri Sports Complex, Turner Centre at Kerikeri, Kerikeri Mission Station (including Kemp House and the Stone Store), Pete’s Pioneer and Transport Museum, Rewa’s Village, Cherry Park House, North Tec (Bay of Islands Campus), Kerikeri Domain, Kerikeri-Paihai Track, Fairy Pools, Rainbow Falls, Kerikeri Swimming Pool, Rolands Wood, Cannon Drive Reserve, Kerikeri Playground, Skudders Beach Reserve and several schools.