About the profile areas
The 2013 population for Carterton is 4,686, with a population density of 9.16 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Carterton is bounded by a line running parallel to Kent Street in the north, the locality of Te Wharau in the east, Portland Road and Dalefield Road in the south, and Lincoln Road and the locality of Mount Holdsworth in the west.
Carterton is named after Charles Rooking Carter, a Wairarapa Parliamentarian and philanthropist. It was originally known as Three Mile Bush.
2013 Usual residents
hectares (5 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement of the area dates from 1857 when the township was founded to provide a base for the men working on the road between nearby Greytown and Masterton. Land was used mainly for farming and timber-getting. Growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s, aided by the opening of the railway line in 1880. Significant development occurred from the post-war years into the 1970s. The population was relatively stable between 1996 and 2006, and then increased between 2006 and 2013 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Carterton is a township area, with residential, recreational and commercial land uses.
Major features of the area include the Carterton CBD, Paua World, Howard Booth Park, Carrington Park, Carterton Showgrounds, Carterton Events Centre, Carterton Railway Museum, Carterton Swimming Pool, Belvedere Hall Reserve, Belvedere Road River Reserve, Clock Tower Reserve, Fisher Place Reserve, Holloway Street Civic Reserve, Memorial Square, Millennium Park, Moreton Road Reserve, South End Park, Sparks Park, Victoria Street Rail Reserve, Council Offices and several schools.