Do we do unpaid work?
Derived from the Census questions, "In the last 4 weeks, which of these have you done without pay?
- household work, cooking, repairs, gardening etc for my own household
- looked after a child who is a member of my own household
- looked after a member of my household who is ill or has a disability
- looked after a child (who does NOT live in my household)
- helped someone who is ill or has a disability (who does NOT live in my household)
- other help or voluntary work for or thought any organisation, group or marae"
This is a multi-response question.
Relates only to persons aged 15 years and over.
In recognition of the significant and perhaps growing contribution of voluntary and unpaid work in the economy, particularly by women, this question in the Census is providing data that has not traditionally been collected in social and economic statistics. It includes data on unpaid work including domestic activity statistics, unpaid child care statistics, aged care and people with disabilities data.
When analysed in conjunction with Blueskin's age structure, family/household structure and socio-economic status measures of the area, the importance of unpaid work to the community and economy can be understood as well as the demographics of those who contribute to Blueskin's unpaid economy.
|Usual residence||number||%||Wanganui District %||number||%||Wanganui District %||2001 to 2006
|Household work etc||1,002||83.9||75.3||945||83.1||75.8||57
|Looking after a child who is a household member||396||33.2||27.4||381||33.5||28.5||15
|Looking after ill or disabled household member||108||9.0||8.3||78||6.9||7.9||30
|Looking after a child who is not a household member||213||17.8||16.3||192||16.9||15.8||21
|Looking after ill or disabled other person||129||10.8||10.5||99||8.7||9.6||30
|Voluntary work through an organisation||198||16.6||15.8||198||17.4||17.0||0
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings, 2006, 2001 and 1996.
Please refer to the specific data notes for more information.
This is a multiple response question, as respondents are asked to nominate all types of unpaid work they performed in the four weeks prior to Census date. Percentages will add to more than 100%.
Data for 1996 are not comparable with 2001 and 2006, due to a change in the reference period. In 1996, unpaid work related to the previous 7 days, rather than 4 weeks, and has therefore been excluded from profile.id®
Analysis of unpaid activities in Blueskin in 2006 compared to Wanganui District shows that there was a higher proportion of people performing unpaid work in their own home and a higher proportion of people involved with unpaid activities outside of their home.
The major differences between unpaid activity in Blueskin and Wanganui District were:
- A larger percentage of Household work etc (83.9% compared to 75.3%);
- A larger percentage of Looking after a child who is a household member (33.2% compared to 27.4%), and;
- A smaller percentage of No activities (7.8% compared to 10.5%).
The largest change in unpaid activity in Blueskin between 2001 and 2006 was:
- Household work etc (+57 persons).